Sofia, my 12 year old daughter, needed and wanted a bedroom makeover. I always call Sofia “my odd bird” (in an endearing way :)) and I wanted her room to reflect her quirky personality. Sofia loves to read, loves music, loves her little puggles, and loves Abe Lincoln (that’s right, Abraham Lincoln). She wanted green and purple in her room but not in that elegant purple and green combo way; she wanted funk. After taking her to look at paint samples and both of us getting frustrated, she said, “Mom, you know what I like and so long as there’s green and purple in the room, you just design the room and surprise me.” That’s exactly what I needed to hear to go nuts!
I started researching online and found the following things that I thought would be perfect for her:
I love the eclecticness of this room! It’s minimal but still colorful. The colors tie in together but it’s not too matchy-matchy. To pull this off, you have to have white or close to white walls otherwise it’s color overload.
Gold severed animals as artwork, who wouldn’t love that?! Sofia loves animals but because she’s quirky, I’m going to replicate this artwork using the animal BUTTS instead. She’ll love it!
This is a keeper because I want to do one accent wall with these ombre chevron stripes but the stripes are going to be lime green at the bottom going to soft green at the top.
So with all these ideas, I made a mood board since the best way for me to see if things are going to work when I do a room from scratch, is to make a board.
Purple, orange, and lime green are the main colors with punches of pink and to neutralize the room, gray and white.
1. A gray bedspread anchors the room and gives the eye a rest since the accents in the room are so colorful. I got the bedspread from Marshall’s for $40.
2. This colorful tapestry is from Urban Outfitters for $39 and it will lie on the foot of Sofia’s bed to give the bedding a little color.
3. Sofia loves music! This headphone print is from ZGallerie and will be in the collage above Sofia’s bed along with Abe, the turntable, and the Keep Calm print. It was $40 for the print.
4. Same collection of prints as the headphones. $40 from ZGallerie.
5. Sofia is also an avid reader and I got this print from the Keep Calm store on Etsy for $20.
6. Every girl’s room needs a gaudy, plastic, purple chandelier. This one is from Amazon for $118 but I’m going to try to find a similar one on Craigslist and just paint it to keep costs down.
7. I got 2 little knobs from Urban Outfitters for $10 for the pair to serve as pullbacks for Sofia’s curtains.
8. This little wooden jar is from Urban Outfitters for $10 and is perfect for Sofia’s retainer that she leaves on her nightstand that one day I’m afraid is going to become a dog treat…
9. Lampshade from Target to go onto the lime green lamp base which will sit on her nightstand. $26
10. Lamp base from Target for $36.
11. Awesomely colorful rug from Urban Outfitters for a whopping $18. It’s only a 3×5 but it’s going to go at the foot of her bed and should be just the right size.
12. Neutral curtains from Urban Outfitters for $29 per panel. Great deal!
13. The Abe Lincoln print from Zazzle for $19.
So, that’s all I’ve ordered for now. I’m still looking for some pillows for the bed which I might sew myself since I am trying to keep the costs down! Overall, I’d like to keep the makeover under $500 and so far I’m at $357 plus I still need to paint…