It’s so nice to look at a room in your house (when it’s not a hot mess from the kids), and think that it’s exactly how you want it. That’s how I feel about our family room… I may want to change everything in a few months, but for now, the family room finally feels like “us.”
I’ve been searching for a chair for the corner of the room for a few weeks now and couldn’t decide between something with a lot of color, like this:
or a neutral option. I opted to go safe and leave the color for the accessories. I also didn’t want to spend too much on the chair since really it’s more for decorative purposes than for meaningful seating since we have such a big sectional, so I checked the usual budget options (IKEA, Home Goods, Pier 1) and found what I needed at Target.
I also bought a side table from West Elm:
Here is what the family room looked like when we moved in (minus the paint swatches, we did those):
Notice the stained carpet, mustard walls, red brick on the fireplace, the mis-sized furniture, the gold fireplace insert, and the list goes on and on…
Now it looks like this:
I still need to add a throw for the chair and a few accessories for the top of the gold and white box so this corner of the room is still looking a little sparse.
This is the little desk on the other side of the room where Tuscan likes to play on the computer:
I was really hoping to put the side table next to the chair by the fireplace, but it was too wide so… next to the desk it went. It’s such a cute table that I wanted to incorporate it somewhere in the room.
And here is the bookshelf behind the couch (that still needs baskets on the bottom two shelves):
The room is now bright and airy and just the way I like it!
I still have a small to-do list for this room, but I’m not in a hurry to get them done:
- Paint the ceiling (really, really not in a hurry to do that)
- Expand the mural wall since our couch is so much wider now
- Find a storage cocktail ottoman for in front of the couch
- Get a new blind to replace the one on the left side of the TV (there just isn’t enough wall space for curtains unfortunately)
- Get four baskets to go on the bottom two shelves of our bookshelf (I want to dip the bottoms of the baskets white)
- Get a colorful throw for the chair and also some accessories for the gold and white box next to the chair
Next on the list is to tackle installing new light fixtures… like 10 of them… Sigh…